The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

thewritingpiazza
Site Admin

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

Postby thewritingpiazza » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:23 pm

I am just about to begin this book. I have read the rest of the series and have enjoyed it so far. I was curious how Riordan would follow up his highly popular first series staring Percy Jackson and I was not disappointed. His expansion into the world of Roman demi-gods gave an interesting twist and something new that fit well alongside the characters we've come to love from his last series. I'm very excited to read this conclusion to his second series, has anyone else read it? What are your thoughts?
Be sure to sign up to follow my blog!
https://www.thewritingpiazza.com/blog/

thewritingpiazza
Site Admin

Re: The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

Postby thewritingpiazza » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:24 pm

I finished reading this book and I have to say I really liked it. When I first started reading Riordan's second series I had two thoughts, first I really like the characters from his original Percy Jackson series so I was afraid this second series wouldn't involve them at all. My second thought was that I was afraid I wouldn't like it as much as I liked the first series. It's hard to do a follow up series after a highly successful first series (I think the Star Wars movies proved this, IMO). But then when I started reading the second series, I was pleasantly surprised to meet the new characters and the new story line. Riordan managed to intertwine this series just enough with the last series to satisfy my desire to see more of Percy Jackson et. al. while also bringing in a fresh twist to it by adding the Roman camp of half-bloods.

I think his weaving of these two elements was a tight rope that he walked with flare and enthusiasm and kept me engaged from beginning to end. The way he wove the prophesy of the seven in throughout in a subtle and unexpected way was superb. The only issue I had with the series and specifically with this book was the ending. Now don't get me wrong, it was an ok ending. He didn't leave any glaring loose ends left unraveled. However, it felt rushed. The series had been building to this climax and I think he wrapped it up too quickly. His first series ending felt more appropriate. It felt longer. This one felt like the action at the end was too short.

SPOILER ALERT ---- IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT YET AND DON'T WANT SPOILERS, STOP READING NOW!!!

The fight against Gaea was rather anticlimactic. It happened so quickly and easily that it left me with a feeling like 'was that it?' Even the confrontation between the Romans and the Greeks was kind of lackluster. The remainder of my unhappiness is a matter of preference. I would have liked to hear more about what happened to the characters after they defeated Gae. I liked the little bit about the Greeks and Romans working together to clean up the camp and the bit about the Romans going back to their camp in black SUVs (especially the joke about any monsters who tried to stop them getting a big surprise) but I am more referring to Leo, Reyna and Nico. We have come to know and love these two characters but after waiting all this time to see what will happen to them we get very little about them at the end. I know Leo flew off into the sunset with Calypso and that was nice but again, after waiting all this time for it to happen, there wasn't much there and it felt rather unfulfilling. Also we got next to nothing on Nico and even less about Reyna. It wasn't a huge let down by any means, nor did it ruin how much I liked this book and series, it's just a little side note about how I felt about it.

Has anyone else read it? What did you think?
Be sure to sign up to follow my blog!
https://www.thewritingpiazza.com/blog/

Return to “Books We Are Reading”